Saturday, May 05, 2007

The Dishcloth Contest...

When I was reading blogs the other day, I ran across a contest on Carrie's blog that I thought would be fun to enter. Here it is:

"So the contest will go along with spring, and starting new things. I'd like everyone who wants to participate to cast on a washcloth - a wild one. One that you feel joyous doing, and in colors that don't match your kitchen. Make it fun!"

I thought.. I can do this. This will be fun. So I chose some fun, bright yarn I had in my stash (that totally does not match my kitchen) and a new pattern (Diamond Drop Lace) I had gotten from the dishcloth KAL that I am a member of, and cast on.

Well, I should have known that my life has been a little TOO stressful lately to try a new pattern that requires concentration and learning new stitches. I cast this dishcloth on not once, not twice but three times. And by the time I starting ripping it out for the third time, I was no longer feeling very joyous!!

So I grabbed another fun yarn that matched and decided to do a ballband dishcloth. But it too had to be ripped out after my first attempt. I perservered, however and cast on once again, determined to succeed!! And so far, so good.







Here is what I have up to this point:

















In other news, Kirstin got a job at Panera. She is pretty excited. She trained in last night making the Crispani's. She said that her years of rolling out Lefse really helped in rolling out the Crispani dough. Best of all, she gets to wear a cool cap...

I'm a little afraid she'll start bringing home samples... I love their baked goods but can't indulge too often!!















I'll close with a couple of fun photos that Kirstin took at the San Diego zoo when they were there a couple of weeks ago. My favorite one is of the baby giraffe. Doesn't it look like he is just puckering up for a kiss??? And the polar bear is just kind of fun.

Until Next Time....

10 comments:

Carrie said...

Oooo I love that dishcloth! I haven't seen that pattern before. And the baby giraffe is charming! =)

Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

The dish cloth is going great so far!

Congrats to Kirstin on her new job!

Glad to hear you received the stitch markers! Hope you will enjoy using them :o)

rohanknitter said...

Ahhh, the ballband dishcloth. I never get tired of it!
Or Panera bread! We all love to go there. We don't have one nearby so we always look for them when we're traveling.

Robin said...

I love Panera Bread. Thank goodness the closest one is about 40 miles away I think. I have been to San Diego Zoo it is cool. Have you been working on any socks?????? LOL

hakucho said...

Your ballband is coming out great! I love ballbands (my favorite cloth) and those colors are so cheerful! Good pick me up :)
Congrats to Kirstin on the new job. Yum, I think I would go crazy with all the bread and food there...I would want to try everything :)

happy knitting :)

Jknits said...

Fabulous colors for the ball band. I could see a kitchen designed around them. Panera gets a big thumbs up in our household - I love taking the kids their for coffee, chocolate milk and muffins.

Sheri at The Loopy Ewe said...

Kirstin - congrats on the Panera job!! :-) (Janice - I love the ballband dishcloth, but I would feel really guilty using that pretty thing as a dishcloth.)

Caroline said...

I love the color you've used in your dishcloth. I'm through with wool until the fall so cotton dishcloths sound great!

I've tagger you for a meme:) It's a short one. You can get it on my page.

AR said...

Congrats on the job for your daughter! Cute dishcloth, too. :)

DawnK said...

I just made a ballband cloth, AND the Diamond Drop Lace, although, the DDL cloth, almost made me tear my hair out! LOL! Your ballband is pretty. I made mine with blues, greens and yellow.

It stinks only having a Panera restaurant about 50 miles away. My older daughter and I wish there was a closer one!