Wednesday, December 06, 2006

It's Beginning To Look Alot Like Christmas...

Well, snow or no snow, it is time to start decorating for Christmas. It just doesn't seem right to not have snow on the ground. Cranking the Christmas music helped as I spent the day unpacking decorations and Christmas dishes etc... There are a few items that I always look forward to having out each year. Thought I would share them with you.

The first is a Nativity set I purchased in Seoul Korea when we were living in Japan. (I used to take 'hops' over to Korea to go shopping!!)
I fell in love with this Nativity set and wanted it to be the focal point of our Christmas decorating. When the kids were younger, I would wrap baby Jesus in a beautiful box and that would be the first gift we opened Christmas morning. Hmmm... I should still be doing that!!



The second is another Nativity set that belonged to Steve's mom. She loved Lladro and this Nativity reminds me of her. It is so delicate and beautiful.








The last two decorations that I will share today are cross stich pieces done by my dad. He is an amazing cross-stitcher!! Here is my round frame Santa. Isn't he incredible??












And here is the second... Santa in the forest.








The most beautiful Christmas cross stitch he has done hangs in the home of my little brother. Sigh. I threaten to steal it every year.... but they do a pretty thorough search of our car before we leave and always find it!!


We will get our tree on Saturday and I will post a picture after it is decorated. I will be showcasing the beautiful wheat weaving done by my mom....

Not much knitting time, but am making progress on the Kitty Pi bed. Found some wonderful purple eyelash yarn to put at the top of it. Am looking for 'bird-colored' yarn to make a second one for a loopy cat I know.....



Here is a sneak peek at another project on my needles. It is a gift for a friend who may or may not be a regular blog reader, so I don't want to give too much away... But it is a fun knit!




Kirstin is loving her new purse. I need to make a thinner loop for the button (or find a WAY bigger button...)

I am ready to cast on my second one with a few modifications. After that, if anyone wants the pattern I would be very happy to share. (But only if you promise to send pictures of purses you've made with it! :-))









And now, as promised, here is my recipe for Mexican Lasagna. A delicious, easy meal. Goes great with the corn bread rolls from my earlier post!




Mexican Lasagna

1 1/2 pounds ground beef
1 tsp. Lawry’s salt
1 1.25 oz pkg. Taco seasoning mix (we like hot & spicey)
1 cup diced tomatoes (Or 1 can petite diced tomatoes)
2 8oz. cans tomato sauce
1 4oz. can diced green chilies
8 oz. Ricotta cheese
2 eggs
9 corn tortillas
10 oz. Monterey Jack cheese, shredded.

1. Brown ground beef. Drain fat.
2. Add Lawry’s, taco mix, tomatoes, tomato sauce and green chilies. Blend well and bring to a boil.
3. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.
4. In bowl, combine Ricotta and eggs.
5. In bottom of 9 X 13 pan, spread half of the meat mixture, top with half of the tortillas. Spread with half of the Ricotta/egg mixture and sprinkle with half of the shredded Monterey Jack.
6. Repeat layers, ending with cheese.
7. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes.
8. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.
9. (Can be made early & refrigerated or frozen)

We top ours with shredded lettuce, salsa, sour cream and crunchy tortilla strips

Dinner: Serve with pineapple,rice and cornbread rolls.

Until next time.......

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Aunt Janice,
I hope that I am the Loopy Cat of which you speak. A bird-colored bed sounds wonderful. Love, Zoe

AR said...

Your Nativity sets are beautiful.

The cross stitch decorations are great, too. I taught my Hubby to cross stitch a long time ago, I know a couple of guys who do that craft. It can be as relaxing as knitting.

rohanknitter said...

How wonderful to have something like that made by your dad. They are exquisite!
Tonight we're having mexican lasagna and those cornbread rolls!

Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

Your Nativity sets are beautiful, as is your dad's cross stitch pictures. The Kitty Pi bed looks so cute, and I'm sure the kitty will enjoy it.

I would love the pattern for the purse to try out!

Allison said...

I love your sneak peak bag - I know what it is! The colors are a great choice! I can't wait to see it all done.

Heidi said...

Love your nativity scenes! How nice to have Christmas cross-stitching of your dad's to hang up. Yummy recipe too, one more I'll need to try...wish I loved cooking! It's snowing here today which is nice because it replaces the snow that got rained on a couple days ago. Hope it stays for Christmas!

Nice purse, looks like a fab design!

Bonnie O. said...

I had planned on that same color combo! It will look adorable.

I'm going to talk my 12 year old through the mexican lasagna later in the week. He likes to cook.