I have spent 7 hours in the kitchen already today preparing food for our family Christmas in Minnesota this coming Saturday. One of the things that I always bring are the Swedish Tea Rings for breakfast. They are easy to make and quick to impress wherever you take them!!
SWEDISH TEA RING
Dissolve 2 pkgs. yeast in 1/2 cup warm water (add 1 Tbsp. sugar to feed the yeast) Let sit 5-10 minutes.
In the meantime:
Put in Cusinart/Kitchen Aid bowl: (referred to as mixer in recipe)
4 1/2 cups flour
2 Tbsp. sugar
1 1/2 tsp. salt
Mix in another bowl:
1 cup milk
1/4 cup melted shortening (not oil)
1. Add yeast mixture to milk mixture and stir.
2. With mixer on, slowly pour the liquid into the flour mixture.
3. Let the mixer knead the dough for 5 minutes or so. (Check the dough periodically and if too sticky add a Tbsp of flour at a time until you have a nice dough.)
4. Knead on counter a few minutes.
5. Place in a lightly greased bowl and let rise until double.
6. Roll dough out into a rectangle.
7. Spread with melted butter (1/4 cup) and sprinkle
with a cinnamon sugar mixture.
(Little over 1/2 cup)
8. Roll up. Form a horseshoe and cut the dough every inch or so, but not quite all the way through. (I first cut off the ends and put in a separate pan for rolls)
9. Bring the dough together in a circle (on greased cookie sheet, or pie dripping pan) flipping each section on its side until it comes together.
10. Let rise again
11. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes, until golden brown. (time varies a bit by oven...you don't want it doughy)
12. Frost with powder sugar frosting.
POWDER SUGAR FROSTING
1 1/2 cups powder sugar 6 tsp. milk 1/4 tsp vanilla
Mix all together. Add additional milk tsp. at a time.
Here are my finished ones of the day:
After they cool completely, I will wrap them well and put them in the freezer to bring to Minnesota. My dad is also making one with Maple frosting to bring as well! (Thanks Dad!)
The rolls will not get frozen. They will be eaten.
ALWAYS make that little pan of rolls...keeps the family happy :-)
Until next time.....