Monday, April 27, 2009

Spring Fling Synopsis.....

Ok, I have to say that it is very hard to do a blogpost on something like 'The Spring Fling'.... There is so much to write... I will try to do my best on giving you a taste of what goes on when 100 knitters gather from around the world for a weekend of knitting!!!

I headed down to St. Louis early last Tuesday morning to help Sheri get a few last minute things ready for the Fling. (Which officially started Thursday afternoon). She had expanded The Loopy Ewe since the last time we were down there, and it is incredible. This wall of Cascade had me dreaming of endless possibilities of felted bags one could make in countless color combinations!!!





The 'Sit and Knit' area was extremely inviting, but unfortunately we were too busy to ever really just sit and knit. Maybe next time!!! (Although things are always hopping at The Loopy Ewe!!!)










One of my jobs was to put together some spinning wheels to take up to the hotel for people to learn to spin on. Do I look in over my head because I totally was!!! I eventually got them all together....








One of the highlights for me last year was getting to know Claudia who flew in from Germany for the Fling. This year she came again, and brought along her husband and two dear friends, Dani and Maria. They got in Tuesday evening, so we had several days to get to know them. I would love to someday go to Germany to visit them all and Claudia's workshop. Here is Maria, Dani and I... (Claudia is in black but prefers not to have pictures of her taken or published!)











One of the traditions that seems to have been established is the ordering and consuming of delicious cupcakes from The Cupcakery in St. Louis. These cupcakes are delicious!!!!! Two of the flingers, Laura and Leslie or Leslie and Laura (can't keep them straight....) take orders and pick them up for us all. Yum. Good thing this bakery isn't in my hometown, or I may be in trouble....






Once everyone gets checked in, the rest of the weekend is spent knitting; spinning, taking classes and a shopping trip to the Loopy Ewe. The decibel level in this lounge got quite high at times.. just saying!!









There was quite a spinning contingent this year, which was fun to see. I brought my spinning wheel and spent quite a bit of time on it and got some GREAT help from Adrienne, Lynn and Stacey. Thanks guys!! I can't wait to get back at it! (Pictured here - Kristi and Adrienne)













Here is the bobbin I got spun during my time at the Fling. I am pretty excited to finish the next bobbin and get them plied together. I may even have yarn that I can make something with!!















The other project I worked is another felted tote. It will have the same shape as the circle tote, but I refigured the pattern so I can knit it in the round. I used the Stripe Generator to generate a pattern with my four colors. I'm pretty excited to see how it turns out.






Sheri had 3 teachers this year that held classes on Friday and Saturday. Wendy, Anne and Cookie. Wendy and Cookie both had books published right before the Fling. I was able to get copies of both to bring with me and have them sign. Here is Wendy and I.













And then me with Cookie. (Goofy picture of me, but what can I say??) Cookie is the designer of the Monkey sock pattern that I adore and have made several of. There are several patterns in her book that I am excited to try!









Laura (of cupcake fame) was one of the test knitters for Wendy's book, so I had her sign the page of the socks that she knit. There were so many talented, talented knitters and spinners and I enjoyed seeing what everyone was knitting and getting to know many of them. I'm already looking forward to next year's fling!



Well, I will share some of the fun things that came home with me in my next post.



Until Next Time....

P.S. check out more Spring Fling photos etc.. on Sheri's blog today

7 comments:

Schnitzel and the Trout said...

What a wonderful long weekend you had. Makes me wish....maybe someday!

Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

Wow, looks and sounds like a fabulous time!

Robin said...

Janice, looks like you had an awesome time. Your spinning is looking good. I was wondering if you had been spinning lately.

A :-) said...

Um . . . what Robin said. :-) Your spinning mojo has clearly had the rest it needed. That BFL is beautiful!! Well done my friend :-)

rohanknitter said...

It looks like a wonderful time!! Knitting heaven. Love your spinning!

marit said...

Looks like a lovely weekend! I'm envious! My weekend was spent bringing new wool into the world;-D (yes, it is lambing season over here...so far it goes like a dream!)

Anonymous said...

it was good to see you this weekend!!!! Your spinning as well as Lynn and Adrienne's clearly has rubbed off on me and I'v been playing with my wheel since I returned home. See you next year :-)