Sunday, August 03, 2008

Checking In....

Yes... I am still here! We have been busy busy busy since K got home last week so I thought I would catch you up on what we've been up to! First off, we dusted off my trusty old sewing machine and hit the fabric store for a project that we've been planning for quite some time.





We bought six different flannel fabrics and started cutting out 6 inch squares to make a twin size rag quilt for Sheri's daughter as a graduation gift for her to take to college. Her favorite color is purple, so that is the primary color we used.














The reverse side of it is made up of old jeans that we have been collecting for some time. (And came to light in my recent cleaning out of the storage room!!!) The effect of the purples and blues coming through on the denim side was very subtle and very pretty. These are such quick and easy quilts to throw together. We had this finished in a little over 2 days from the time we started!!!












We had a time goal as we packed up the car on Friday and headed out on a Midwest Adventure!! First stop: St. Louis. We spent the weekend with Sheri and her family. Steve had a shoulder visit from Zoe the cat. He doesn't look all that comfortable with her on there and claims that she ripped his shoulder to shreds before she jumped down. I don't know... I didn't see any blood!!



K had her own Zoe experience with having her on her lap while she sat knitting. Hmmm, I'm trying to imagine having Sumo sit on my lap while I knit. I think I'll be content to have him sit at my feet!!!














We did lots of knitting and watched a few movies. We are all working on scarves. I have started a new one that I am really enjoying. I will show it on my next post. We have LOTS of driving time in the next few days and I should get quite a bit done.




The guys chose to watch movies but opted out of the whole knitting thing. I don't know... I enjoy doing something while I watch T.V.









We made a couple of trips to Loopy Central. (Sheri's yarn shop). She just celebrated her 2nd anniversary of starting The Loopy Ewe on August 1st. It is amazing how her business has grown!! It doesn't surprise me tho! Sheri is an amazing business person, known for her incredible customer service and personal touches. Way to go Sheri!!




Of couse a trip to Loopy Central involves several things. One is a trip or two to the M&M jars. I so could not have these available all day every day. I have no will power when it comes to M&M's!








The second is the acquisition of items for my various stashes: yarn; roving and bags. I got 5 different rovings to spin; a skein of Cherry Tree Hill Select yarn and an Atenti bag that Sheri has been telling me I just HAVE to have. (And I always believe her.....) I'm looking forward to doing more spinning after we get home. Someday I will spin yarn that I can actually knit with! I know that it just takes practice, practice, practice!!!





Tomorrow we leave St. Louis. Next stop: Omaha for an overnight stop with R & M. Stay tuned.....


Until Next Time.....

10 comments:

rohanknitter said...

Sounds like a fun little trip - and of course a visit to Loopy's store sounds great. The rag quilt looks really pretty, I've been tempted to try one of those. (maybe this winter) Love the picture of your husband with the kitty - his expression is priceless!

Karen said...

Your Singer looks just like the one my Mom had (that I learned on, Mom's was in a cabinet though). Your quilt looks wonderful, I bet it will keep her warm in the dorm. Safe travels!

A :-) said...

Hey You - go ahead and knit that stuff you already spun up!!! Trust me - it will knit up great :-) Just find some weeny little projects - something you don't need a lot of yardage for - maybe some fingerless mitts? :-) And keep on spinning! Sounds like you had a great weekend!

Lovs2Knit said...

Love the rag quilt! Sewing here has mostly consisted of new napkins. Sounds like you had a great weekend. Have a safe trip!

Anonymous said...

That quilt looks easy, as well as really cool! Is it as easy as cut squares of jeans and flannel the same size, put together wrong sides, and sew those sets together as shown? Too cool!

vtcjan at yahoo dot com

Kristi ~ Ohio said...

It looks like you are having a great vacation! Love your Loopy stash :) I like your new Atenti bag. The quilt so really pretty too. I've been saving our old jeans for this same project. Did you use batting? Safe travels. Kristi

Sheri at The Loopy Ewe said...

I'm so glad you always listen to me. (I'm sure you don't "always"....)

Tell Stevie not to walk quickly when a cat is on his shoulders. They dig in to hold on. Silly guy.

Thanks for the visit and Loopy help!!

Allison said...

Wow I want to be Sheri's friend! I love the rag quilt. It's adorable and what a great idea for using up old jeans! Mom has a pattern to make purses out of themso I've a box in the garage but no one needs that many purses!

Anonymous said...

My blanket made the blog?? I'm honored! I absolutely LOVE it, especially since it's purple :) I'm so glad you guys came down. It was so much fun!

hakucho said...

Awesome rag quilt!! It's such a thoughtful gift...I'm sure it will be cherished forever :)