Thursday, July 31, 2008

TNT Thursday

It is time for another update on our marathon training with Team in Training. Steve and I will be running in the San Antonio Marathon November 16. While we are training, we are raising awareness and funds for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. Our hope and prayer is that we can help in the race to find a cure for these diseases!

Today I thought I would share a little about what our training schedule looks like. As we have mentioned before, one of the supports that you receive when you join Team in Training is a coach who helps come up with a training plan that is designed to help you prepare for your race and accomplish your goals. It is exactly 108 days until our marathon and I have a training schedule hanging on the door that maps out what I will need to do each week to get ready.

Basically we run 3 shorter runs during the week (3-5 miles) and then do a long run on the weekend. It is by increasing the length of the long run each week that you get ready to go the distance. The longest we will actually run before the race will be 22 miles (which we'll do about 3 weeks before race day!) It will be late in October which will mean we hopefully won't be doing it in this heat and humidity. (I just hope we won't be doing it in snow!!)

We are very fortunate here in Cedar Falls as we have over 80 miles of recreational trails right here in our community! This is a bridge over the Cedar River which we often cross when we are out on our long run. (We crossed over it tonight as a matter of fact!!) I LOVE having the trails to run on. It's very easy to map out any length run. We can access the trail system just a little over a mile from our house, which is where I usually take off from.

Now just to let you know I do not necessarily look forward to all of my runs!! There are many mornings that it is a battle within my head..... "You should go for your run now"..... "Well.... I could wait until tonight instead and get started on my day instead".... "But you know that you do better if you get it over with first thing in the morning....." "Yes, but I would rather shower and go out for a cup of coffee..." etc.. etc.. Sometimes it takes up to 45 minutes for me to actually get ready and out the door for my run. If I would have just gone right away I would have already been back!!!!


We are continuing to raise support and are well over half way there! We are helping with a 'Poker Run' on August 23rd which I think will be a great event to do with the team and should help push us up towards our goal. We still have lots of time, which is a good thing.



Until Next Time....

4 comments:

KSee said...

I hate that little voice in our heads. Mine wins out more than not. Great to have suck nice trails and a coach.

A :-) said...

I'm all for getting it done in the a.m., too. I'm excited for you doing this marathon - and really quite in awe :-)

Lovs2Knit said...

From time to time my little voice gets me in trouble. ;)

We have 30 miles of trail here. Only half is paved but it takes you around our part of the Missouri river and several of the damns on it. Plus there are parts and such along the way.

Jknits said...

A puppy? How fun! Make sure you load up on the puppy-no-bite spray and cover the legs of your fine furniture.
Good luck with the training - my dh is hoping to run a marathon so I know close up how hart it can be to stay motivated.