Friday, January 09, 2009

Scarf Central

Well, back to the unadventurous life of an Iowa knitter. (vs.. the exciting Antartica adventure her son just had....) Thought I would share some of the projects that have come off and some that are currently on my needles. They are all scarves. Don't know why. They just are. Some are mine, and a couple are K's that I thought I would share with you.

The first is the finished Alpaca with a Twist scarf that K made for SC. I have to say that these Alpaca scarves are the warmest, yummiest scarves I have ever felt!! These are made by casting 70 stitches onto a size 6 circular needle with Color A and knitting in the round, so it's double thick AND double warm. After about 18 inches or so, you transition to your second color by knitting 1 row of Color B and then 10 rows of Color A; 2 rows of Color B and then 9 rows of Color A; 3 rows of Color A; 8 rows of Color A etc.. until you knit 10 rows of Color B; 1 row of Color A and then finish another 18 inches or so with color B.









K also made a similar scarf for Steve for Christmas, but just put a couple of stripes on each end. The color is really more of a hunter green and it is gorgeous. Steve has never been one to wear a scarf, but this one has made him a true believer and he never leaves home without it on.













I finally finished my second fan and feather scarf out of Wollmeise that I was making for A's girlfriend CB. I think that it is on it's way to Spain today as she flew out of Chicago to study there for a semester. I am so jealous of all of the incredible opportunities kids have these days! So glad that they are taking advantage of them!!












I've been working on a two-toned Noro scarf with some Noro Kureyon I had in my stash. It is so fun. Got a little carried away, however and it ended up being like 100 feet long. I snipped it part way up and unraveled the ends and bound off again and added more fringe and have scarf # 1.














The other end is on my needles and I'll plug away and get a second scarf as well. But for now it's going to be set aside so I can cast on one out of some yummy Noro Silk Garden that I picked up at The Crazy Girl yarn shop downtown. I hope to cast on today, and will show my progress on my next post.













I had started this scarf for M to match the beautiful purple coat that she got for Christmas. It is using the Newbie Scarf pattern with some Briar Rose yarn I picked up at the Midwest Fiber Festival last June. Lo and behold, she came over with a different coat on the other night. She had returned the purple coat. Sigh. But she loved the Noro two-toned scarf, so it is now hers. And this scarf will sit for a bit until I decide if I want to finish it or use the yarn for something else.










I also have an Alpaca with a Twist scarf on the needles. It's kind of my Cat-in-the-hat version of the one's K has done. I started this before she started either of hers. Sigh. If only I was a monogamous knitter like she is. She starts one project, and doesn't cast on another until she is finished. I have about 7-8 projects cast on and my mind is already pondering what I will cast on next. I don't know. It may be a disease....











Well, Sophie wants to let you all know that she celebrated her 6 month birthday on Wednesday by spending the day at the Vet having surgery. (No puppies for Sophie...) We picked her up and brought her home that afternoon instead of having her spend the night there. She was a little groggy and sore, but by the next day was back to her perky, pesky self. (Just ask Sumo!!) She surprised the Vet by weighing in at 60 pounds, which is much more than what one would think. She's such a good girl!!










Until Next Time....

12 comments:

countrychicken said...

There is definitely a cast on another project disease, let me know if you find a cure. I even joined a challenge that is going on, Works in Progress, where you finish a linger project every month for the year. I don't think its working though. As soon as I'm done with this post I going to cast on for one of those scarfs. Akk!!

Knitting Mania said...

First time visit here, I found you over at Susan's blog...

I am a fellow knitter also...really enjoyed reading your recent posts, and those scarves are just wonderful. I learned to knit 4 years ago, starting with scarves and now I enjoy kitting and felting purses and fingerless gloves....I have a dream of someday opening a knitting shop in Philipsburg Montana...and create a knitting circle atmosphere for ladies and youth to come and learn how to knit or just hang out to knit & chat!!

Nice to meet you Janice...

Lovs2Knit said...

All the scarves look great. Right now is the perfect time for scarves. I keep finding cowls I want to knit. :)

I can't believe how big Sophie has gotten.

Robin said...

I really like those Noro Scarves. I saw someones blog where they made one out of some of their handspun which I thought was a great idea. Tell K that the scarves she made were great. I really liked the one she made for SC. Isn't it amazing how Dad's will wear something that their little girl has made for them.

Anonymous said...

Terrific scarves! You're so talented, it makes me feel like a bivalve ( a clam ).

That's actually a joke between some old friends and I but I think it translates ok.

The alpaca wool looks warm and cozy... how many scarves do you have going at once?

Sheri at The Loopy Ewe said...

Scarf A.D.D. I'm so proud!!

Anonymous said...

I love the pictures of the dogs. I have always wanted a lab puppy, but have heard lots of horror stories about how destructive they are as puppies. Any comments or advise??

Janice said...

The first two months with a puppy are intense... basically an investment in the next 12+ years. You need to watch them every second.. or put them in an area that they won't destroy anything.I highly recommend crate training as well. Train; train; train. Labs are people pleaser and train very easily if you take the time to do it.
We've never had a lab destroy anything... but we've invested in them and trained them from the get go. Unfortunately I think Marley and Me is giving labs a bad reputation.. when I think his badness was a lack of training.....
I would never hesitate to own a lab :-)

Anonymous said...

Janice, thanks for the feedback. I'm really afraid the Marly movie is going to do to labs what the 101 dalmations did to those dogs. People see the movies and run out and buy one with no research and the dogs too often are turned over to Rescue groups.

Caroline said...

Since I've turned into a wimpy Californian again after spending six years living in Nebraska in my early twenties, I have to say that the only reason I miss really cold weather is that it gives you an excuse to knit beautiful scarves like you've done.

Allison said...

Oh my gosh!!! I will never again feel guilty about knitting so many hats. That's a TON of scarves. I love them all!!!

hakucho said...

Lots of beautiful scarves :) Love them all :)