Sunday, February 25, 2007

ICE ICE BABY....


We’ve had quite a weather weekend. It started Friday with layers of ice; turned to snow Saturday; into rain early Sunday and they predict more snow later today (Sunday afternoon). Needless to say, we decided to delay our trip to Galena and prepared for a weekend at home. Unfortunately the storm has taken out our internet, so I’ve been unable to update my blog and visit the many blogs I love to read. I’m typing this on our laptop and hoping to head into Panera later to tap into their wireless internet and upload. Here is just a glimpse of some of the ice.






Ryan and Mallory were both without power at their places, so they packed a bag and came out for the weekend. It’s been fun. Watching movies; playing games; and dressing up. Ryan is in the middle with Mallory and Kirstin on either side.

















Steve braved the roads on Saturday to go to Applebees to pick up lunch. They have carside service, so I called in the order and they brought it out to his car. Unfortunately they brought him the wrong order!! He got all the way home, and I realized he had the wrong food! Called Applebees, and they told him to keep this food and come back for our order. So back he went. They gave him the right food and a gift certificate for the mix up. Needless to say, we ended up with a TON of food for less than $25.00!! Here is Kirstin, Ryan and Mallory enjoying a ‘mistake’ Veggie Patch Pizza!








I’ve been able to pick up my knitting needles and have great hopes of getting quite a bit done this weekend. My tote for the exchange is done, and ready for a date with the washing machine! I’m going to make a matching cell phone case to go with it as well.





















Got the bowl knit for my mom and also ready to be felted. Hoping the color matches, but if not, we’ll find something that works. These bowls are a quick and easy knit and are fun to have out.








Plugging away on my RunAmokKnotSewHobo bag that I am making for one of the Missionaries in Russia. Once it’s felted, I plan on doing a little embroidery on it. Heidi does some AMAZING work on her bags and is such an inspiration! I won’t do anything as indricate as she does, but hopefully a few lazy daisy stitches like I’ve done on previous bags.

















Also did a little baking!! Mallory was commenting how much she LOVES rhubarb and we just so happened to have rhubarb in our freezer that Kirstin froze this past fall, so they made our Tried and True Rhubarb Cake. This is a recipe I got from my mom and remember her making many times when I was growing up. It is especially good warm with a dollop of whipped cream!

Rhubarb Cake

1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup shortening
1 egg
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup milk mixed with 1 tsp soda
2 cups chopped rhubarb
1/2 cup sugar mixed with 1 tsp cinnamon

1. Mix sugar, shortening and egg
2. Add flour, salt, vanilla and milk mixture. Mix well.
3. Stir in Rhubarb.
4. Pour into 9 X 13 pan. Top with sugar mixture.
5. Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes.
Justify Full
Sumo has been doing ok throughout the weekend. The first time I let him out Friday he looked like Thumper on ice in the movie Bambi! He couldn’t navigate the skating rink that our yard had become. It’s gotten better for him, but he still limits his visits outside, and prefers the comfort inside. Here he is on the back deck looking in.... (and is now comfortably sleeping at my feet!)




Until Next Time......

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've missed your posts! Enough of that work stuff, is what I say. :-) I heard about the storm and wondered if it affected your trip to Galena.

The recipe looks wonderful and we love rhubarb. Remind me to give you our recipe for Rhubarb Dreams.

You need to bring Ryan and Mallory with you the next time you come to visit. (And of course Kirstin and Aaron.) And when is that going to be??

Anonymous said...

The storm is headed our way although I don't know if I'll get quite as much accomplished as you had.

The Rhubarb cake looks and sounds oh-so-yummy! Wanna send some over here?

Anonymous said...

All the finished (and not quite finished) projects look great! The cell phone case is a good idea for a little extra.
Thanks for the rhubarb cake recipe, I was just talking today about what to do with rhubarb in the freezer.
Hope the deep freeze lets up. Ice storms aren't much fun.

hakucho said...

You always have the best recipes...thanks! You bags and bowl look great. I did a bit of felting today and now I'm waiting for them to dry :)

Too bad about the ice (and loss of power :( )...ice is much worse than a ton of snow. We are expecting something for tomorrow. I wouldn't mind a snow day as my middle guy is pretty sick with the flu. They miss so much once they are in high school. Don't think he'll be going tomorrow regardless!

happy knitting :)

AR said...

Yum! I love rhubarb! Thanks for the recipe.

You guys look like you all have so much fun.

Sorry about the weather, though. Yuck.

And ... your knitting looks so great!

Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

Your knitting is coming along nicely! I really love your ballband bag - those colours just pop out with the black!

I'm am sooo going to copy this recipe down! Our family loves rhubarb as well and I'm sure they'd love the cake!

The Teacher said...

I am still l licking my lips from that fabulous rhubarb cake! yummmmmmmmmmmm. Needless to say an entire pan has already come and gone.
We don't mean to sound conceited...but we look GOOD in those pictures. (Ryan made me write that.) :) Hope you're having a dandy time upstairs...as you can see...we're working hard on this homework. Love from down under.
Ry & Mal

gilmore girl said...

thanks marmie! I wish you could skip work too!

rohanknitter said...

Yum, yum, that rhubarb cake sounds & looks great. We love rhubarb around here. The bags look great - I'll be wanting to see how that ballband bag looks all felted.
We got a nasty ice storm here saturday as well, we were holding our breath and hoping that the power wouldn't go out. (it didn't!)

monica said...

We had the nasty, icy weather this weekend too, then it warmed up a bit today, rained and is now freezing again. Ooh, I love rhubarb too, my mom used to make the best strawberry rhubarb pie. I may have to give your cake recipe a try.

Samantha said...

You certainly have been busy. :) Dressing up looks like loads of fun. Your knits look awesome. You gave me a great idea ... I'm going to knit a bunch of felted baskets to help keep my baby stuff organized ... I think that'll work quite well. :) I'm not a fan of Rhubarb, but that cake looks delishious. I passed the recipe on to my Mom and Dad (BIG fans of Rhubarb) ...

Heidi said...

Janice, you flatterer you! :-) Thanks for mentioning my work. I can't wait to see how you embellish that bag.

Way to go on all that free food!! What a fun loving family you have.

Caroline said...

Mmmm rhubarb cake, makes me think of summers in Nebraska where my husband's family lives and I went to college. You have such a great way of writing that it ALMOST makes the storm sound fun!

Yes, you must knit the Mac hat! Got to love those Mac
computers!